These days, more and more kids are experimenting with photography. Not just taking the photos, but editing them, too. Thanks to cell phones, tweens and teens are able to snap pictures just about anywhere. And they do! With the iPhone, iPod touches, iPads, and other smart phones, kids of all ages are able to participate. Little wee ones are using their parents iPads to doodle, draw, and photograph their surroundings. My own kids, ages 8 and 11, are right in the mix. They snap pictures, edit them, and send them out to friends and family. So what are some of my favorite photography apps for kids? Let’s have a look:
1. Camera+ by Tap, Tap, Tap
Camera+ is a favorite amongst my kids for several reasons.
- It’s simple, but not too simple. Everyone likes the ease of use, but at the same time it gives you enough to keep you coming back.
- They can also do everything they need to do right from this app. Shoot, save, crop, add borders, and color effects.
- Here is a basic tutorial on Camera+ to get you headed in the right direction.
Download Now: Camera+ is $.99 on the App store
2. Vintagio by MacPhun
Kids love to take videos. They take them of anything and everything, and the sillier the video, the better! Vintagio is a super fun editor that your kids will just love. Once again, the ease of use is appealing because I find that video editing apps can become quite cumbersome. I’ve heard of too many adults who give up on this area of photography because it’s just too much figure out. Enter Vintagio. It takes kids (and adults) back to the silent film era where they can create hilarious retro films in a matter of seconds.
- Kids will love choosing effects from the 1920′s up to the 80′s
- Add your own soundtracks or select from their library
- Editing the speed of the video is half of the fun…..add drama with slow motion or super fast speed
Download Now: Vintagio is $.99 on the App store
3. Bokehful by ActiveDevelopment
Bokeh is beautiful, and if you have a daughter, she will especially love an app like this. Adding fun bokeh light effects right on to your photos gives that little extra something special. By using your finger, you can apply bokeh until your heart is content.
- Add circle, heart, star or hexagon bokeh shapes
- Select from color gradients
- Adjust the opacity of the bokeh
Download Now: Bokehful is $.99 on the App Store
4. WowFX by Dropico
What kid doesn’t like adding cool effects to their photos? Kids love making real things look cooler than they really are…..but hey, who doesn’t? My boys are always asking me about adding birds, moons, lightning, and explosions to photos. One of the funniest photos my son edited was of himself bending over with flames shooting out of his bottom. Yes, it might be potty humor, but I have boys and as the saying goes, boys will be boys.
- Choose from over 130+ awe-inspiring elements. Fire, Explosions, Water, Lights, Smoke, Tornado, Clouds…
- Layer effects one on top of the other, and create your own unique designs.
- Looking for a way for your child to be expressive and creative? Here you go!
Download Now: WowFX is $1.99 on the App Store
About Nicky Sanford
Nicky Firment Sanford is a self taught photographer specializing in iPhoneography.
Finding inspiration through her daily surroundings, you will see her coastal lifestyle come through in her work. Sunsets, sailboats, and silhouettes are her favorites to shoot. She is the momma to two growing boys and a proud military wife. Her personal website is www.thephotomomma.com and on Instagram @thephotomomma