There are many ways to sell your wares straight from your Instagram account. One of these websites, IGSkins.com, allows you to select photos from your Instagram account and create a skin for your device. It’s pretty easy to set up and maintain, and like many other websites, it’s free to use.
What’s a skin?
A skin is an adhesive backed vinyl cover. It is made so that it can overlays different electronic devices. Their skins are made of the 3M automotive grade vinyl that has a non-permanent adhesive backing that will not damage your device.
Getting Set Up
I just set up my account to see what it’s all about. The only requirement to setting up your account is that you must have an Instagram account. So if you have that, you are ready to go! You can check out my store by clicking here! Once you open up your store, it will look something similar to this:
Things to Know
- Your Instgram images can be used to create a variety of skins: Cell Phone, Laptop, Tablet or Gaming skins
- Through your stores admin panel, select which images you would like to make available for purchase
- A base price for each device category is set by IGSkins. It’s up to you to mark the skin up to the price/profit margin you desire.
- Commissions are automatically paid out on the 1st of every month. They require that you have a minimum of $100 commission for a payment to automatically be made. However, you can request a manual payment to be made at any time if you would like your commission sooner.
- It takes about 24 – 48 hours for your store to set up, and then you will receive an email notification when it’s ready.
- Reports: There is a cool “reports” feature that allows you to see the foot traffic in your store. So far, just over 87% of my visitiors have been from the United States, with the rest being followed by the UK, Dominican Republic and so on. The reports will also track your sales and commissions.
- Images can automatically be updated straight through your Instagram account. Or hand pick which photos you want to appear in your store.
- Promotional Tools: You can connect to Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. You can also have IGSkins post a comment/skin preview automatically to your followers when you add a new design to your shop.
- Support: I have found the customer service at IGSkins to be helpful so far. They were very prompt in answering any of my initial questions. If needed, contact email@example.com
What I Have Learned
Through my own set-up, I’ve learned that not every image looks great as a skin. After making it “available” as an IGSkin, you can go and view how the product will look. I noticed that some of my favorite images didn’t look so fabulous as a skin. Why? Because part of the image was either cut off or not positioned perfectly. It’s just the way the image falls on the product. However, it would be nice if they added a feature that allowed you to adjust and crop your image to fit the skin perfectly. So, I advise you to select you images carefully, and remove those that don’t look so hot.
Lastly, I have not sold anything or received any products from this website. Therefore, I can not attest to their product quality or payment reliability. I have been waiting on my own IGSkin sample for a few weeks now so I could see the quality. If you have an IGSkins store and have sold an item, or purchased a skin, please let me know. It is always important to know the legitimacy of these websites. Many thanks friends.
A few days after posting this, my IG Skin arrived in the mail!
About Nicky Sanford
Nicky Firment Sanford is a self taught photographer specializing in iPhoneography.
Finding inspiration through her daily surroundings, you will see her coastal lifestyle come through in her work. Sunsets, sailboats, and silhouettes are her favorites to shoot. She is the momma to two growing boys and a proud military wife. Her personal website is www.thephotomomma.com and on Instagram @thephotomomma